Sunday, September 4, 2011

Mastering the Brush Stroke - Dare to Explore and Experiment

Fewer brush strokes are far more powerful than an overworked painting. Each stroke conveys a story. Less brushwork forces you to make every stroke count and encourages simple shapes and the thoughtful placement of them. The stroke must be strong and confident or gentle and confident. When painting one should never reveal the difficulty one had through clumsy brush work. No one wants to look at labor and hard work; no matter how laborious it was to create the piece. A single mark from the brush should enlighten and give joy to the viewer.

The size of the brush is important; a small brush on a large canvas can sometimes give negative results, such as streaks and blotches. A larger brush promotes stronger marks; however a small brush is great for detail work. The tool should be your best friend; it should be an extension of your hand.

CNA CLASSES IN INDIANAPOLIS

Natural fibers and synthetic fibers perform differently. Sometimes it just depends on your own personal preference. Use brushes that suit your own style. Natural fibers can carry a greater pigment load than their counterparts, which tend to leave less intense and streaky paint on the paper or canvas. There are many other tools for making marks besides brushes. You can use household items or even your body! Try using mechanical tools or special chemicals. Examples of other great tools are; graphite pencils, pencil crayons, watercolor crayons or pencils, pastels in oil or dry, sponges, cutlery, scrapers, paper towel, and spray bottles.

Most importantly, always experiment with different tools and brushes whether they are round, flat, sharp or soft. You never know the results might surprise you and lead you onto greater artistic adventures.

Mastering the Brush Stroke - Dare to Explore and Experiment

My name is Annette Labedzki. I am a Canadian abstract painter.I have been a full time artist for the last 25 years. I was born in St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver, B.C. A few years later we moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba, where I spent my childhood and early adulthood. I remember the first award I received was in Art class in grade 10. The superintendent of the Winnipeg School Board bought one of my paintings! I was so excited!

I received my BFA at Emily Carr College of Art and Design and spent another year studying philosophy at The University of British Columbia. During this time my husband learned English, drove a taxi, received his BMLS degree (Bachelor of Medical Lab. Sciences) and received his DMD degree (dentist). Another award I received was First Prize at the Pacific Northwest Annual Show at the University of Oregon, U.S.A. It is in their private collection.

I have a web site in which I am able to invite other artists. The address is http://www.labedzki-art.com This is also a wonderful site for art collectors to buy original work at great prices.

CNA CLASSES IN INDIANAPOLIS

No comments:

Post a Comment