Saturday, September 3, 2011

When You Are Teaching Reading in Middle School You Can Be Bringing Problem Readers Up to Speed

Students who can't read in middle school are at the bottom of the class and they are having trouble in all subjects. If the students can't read then they will get left behind. Usually if a child is having trouble reading in middle school it could be a hearing problem or a seeing problem.

I do a simple hearing test like read after me and I will say a poem to see if the child can repeat what I said. If the child cannot pronounce the words as I say them then there might be a hearing problem.

CNA CLASSES IN INDIANAPOLIS

To check eyes I put a number of small dots on the board and ask the child how many. I make sure I can see the dots from where the child is sitting. If they can't see the dots I keep moving them closer to the board until they can.

If they can hear and see properly then it is time to bring out the phonics. I use Montessori sandpaper letters as I think this is the fastest way to get the phonic sounds into the child's head.

A lot of children who are struggling with reading in middle school are the K learners from the VAK model. That means they learn by doing and feeling. With sandpaper letters they are tracing the letters so they are doing, and with the sandpaper they are feeling so it fits in perfectly with their learning mode.

There is a lot more to it than that but that gets them started and they can usually see their progress so that keeps them motivated. It is not as simple as all this but it gets them stated.

When You Are Teaching Reading in Middle School You Can Be Bringing Problem Readers Up to Speed

For more information about teaching your child to read see http://www.animalsdinosaursandbugs.com/Teaching-Reading.htm Peter Legrove spends most of his time in front of a mixed bunch of teenagers trying to instill in them some semblance of the road to survive the future. This article is copyright © peter legrove. http://www.animalsdinosaursandbugs.com

You can use this article on your website or ezine but leave the resource box intact.

CNA CLASSES IN INDIANAPOLIS

No comments:

Post a Comment